A glucometer is a device used to measure diabetes. With this device, blood sugar (i.e., diabetes level) points can be determined at home.
A lancet is used to puncture the tip of the finger in this case. If blood comes out, take a drop of blood on the testing strip and insert it into the machine to test for diabetes.
Regular blood sugar measurements are very important for diabetic patients. Regular monitoring of sugar levels will help control diabetes. It is important to always keep a blood sugar meter handy to avoid various health complications from diabetes.
Doctors generally advise diabetics to measure their blood sugar regularly—on an empty stomach and every two hours after meals—four times a day. However, the frequency and timing of diabetes measurements may vary from patient to patient, depending on their overall health and lifestyle. Talk to your doctor to find out the right advice for you.
Everything you need to measure diabetes at home
Blood sugar measuring machine or glucometer
- Sterile lancet
- Plastic pen for lancet insertion
- Test strip
When buying a glucometer at the pharmacy, you can purchase these items together.
Diabetes test rules at home
Here are seven steps to measure blood sugar at home:
1. First, wash your hands thoroughly with soap or handwash and dry them. You can also disinfect your hands with alcohol pads or hand sanitizer instead of soap. But in that case, you have to wait until the finger is completely dry.
2. Insert the test strip into the designated area of the glucometer. Strips also differ from model to model of glucometer. So choose the right strip according to the specific model. Apart from this, care must be taken to determine whether the strip is fake or expired.
3. Attach a lancet inside the plastic pen and remove the lancet cap. A new needle must be used every time you measure your blood sugar levels. Follow the instructions on the glucometer packaging or the leaflet inside the packet for easy and correct use of the pen.
4. Now hold the pen on one side of the finger and pierce the tip of the finger with the needle. Holding the pen on one side of the finger will reduce the pain. Each blood sugar measurement should use a different finger. A normal drop of blood is enough to measure diabetes on a glucometer.
5. Now place a drop of blood onto the test strip that is attached to the glucometer. Hold the finger in a way that allows the drop of blood to fill the designated area of the test strip. If the blood level is too low, incorrect readings may occur or an error may appear on the glucometer screen.
6. The glucometer screen will display the blood sugar or diabetes point within a few seconds. The glucometer screen usually expresses calculations in mmol/l (millimol/liter) units. If someone’s reading on the screen comes up to 6 mmol/l, then they are diagnosed with diabetes or a blood sugar level of 6 points.
However, some glucometers may display readings in mg/dL (milligrams/deciliter) units. Dividing the result in mg/dL units by 18 gives the result in mmol/l units.
It is better to note the results with date and time in a specific diary or book to keep track of diabetes levels.
7. Finally, dispose of the used needle and strip in the waste basket.
Regularly take care of the glucometer and keep it clean and disinfected according to the instructions.
How many points should diabetes have?
For people with diabetes, doctors set blood sugar targets based on their overall health and lifestyle. Doctors also provide guidance on the frequency and timing of blood sugar measurements using a glucometer.
The blood sugar target for normal, healthy people and diabetic patients is given below:
Normal blood sugar levels for a healthy person are:
On an empty stomach
4 to 6 points
2 hours after eating
Below 8 points
Normal blood sugar levels for diabetics are:
On an empty stomach
4 to 7 points
2 hours after eating
8 to 9 points
Most Important Post For You
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Most Important Post For You Spot, treat, and prevent cannabis nutrient deficiencies. Your guide to cultivating healthy and thriving plants. Cannabis
Explore the link between Do Statins Increase Risk of Diabetes. Uncover facts and insights to make informed decisions about your health. Do Statins Increase Risk
Discover rapid how to relieve indigestion fast with effective strategies. Quick solutions for comfort and digestive ease. Most people suffer from indigestion at one time
I Want to Lose Weight Fast journey. Discover effective strategies and tips to achieve your goals. Start your transformation today! Once the weight starts to
Discover insights on How to Get Over Food Poisoning Quickly Reddit. Proven tips for a swift recovery. Join the conversation for quick relief! How to
Discover effective strategies on how to reduce diabetes through lifestyle changes. Empower yourself for better health and well-being. Today is ‘World Diabetes Day’. The theme
Delve into the world of sugar and sweets. Discover mindful choices for a balanced indulgence. Sweeten life with healthier alternatives. The body stores more sugar
Explore the critical link between diabetes and oral health. Learn proactive strategies for a healthier smile and overall well-being. A diabetic patient should take care
What is the 20-20-20 rule for eyes? Breaks for visual rejuvenation. Tips to combat eye strain and nurture eye health. Day by day, the dependence
Diarrhea and Vomiting at the same time? Dive into causes and effective relief measures for a prompt recovery. Your guide to feeling better. The same
Does tea cause gastric problems. Learn how to foster a harmonious relationship between tea and your stomach. For most people, this problem is not serious.
Find comfort amidst How to Help Stomach Pain from Antibiotics. Discover effective strategies for relief and a smoother recovery. But don’t try to diagnose yourself.