Ringworm can occur anywhere on the body, from head to toe. It is possible to get rid of this disease if you get proper treatment quickly.
Ringworm is a well-known skin disease. A fungal infection causes this contagious disease. Ringworm can occur anywhere on the body, from head to toe. It is possible to get rid of this disease if you get proper treatment quickly.
Symptoms of ringworm
The main symptom of ringworm is a rash. This rash usually looks like a ring. The colour is reddish. However, it may appear silvery, depending on the patient’s skin tone. It can also be darker than the surrounding skin.
In addition to the discoloration of the skin from ringworm, there may be small scales on the surface of the rash. Apart from this, the following symptoms may appear in the affected area:
- The skin is slightly scaly or dry.
- Swelling of the area
- If there is hair or fur on the affected skin, it falls out.
Is shingles disease present in any part of the body?
Ringworms can appear on any part of our body. For example: groin, scalp, hands, feet, and even toenails.
Ringworm symptoms can also vary depending on the affected area. As such, the rash may vary in size. A ringworm rash can slowly enlarge and spread. Sometimes more than one rash may appear.
Below is the essential information about shingles in certain parts of the body:
Scalp ringworm usually leads to baldness in the affected area. Reddish, round, and small scaly rashes develop on bald areas. It may be itchy.
If the infection spreads, the balding area may increase, and multiple rashes of ringworm may develop on the scalp.
Ringworm of the scalp is more common in children than in adults.
Between feet and toes
In this case, the affected area becomes red and swollen, and the skin begins to peel off from there. Along with that, there is itching between the toes. Especially in the middle of the little toe, it is itchy.
Ringworm on the feet can also affect the soles of the feet and ankles. Even more severe cases can lead to blisters on the skin of the feet.
Ringworm in the groin usually appears as a red rash on the inner folds of the thighs. The rash is scaly and itchy.
This type of ringworm occurs on the cheeks, chin, and upper part of the neck. It also appears as a red rash that is scaly and itchy. If you have ringworm on the beard, the rash often falls on top of the rash. Again, pus can accumulate inside. At the same time, the hair in the affected area may fall out.
In cases where it is especially important to see a doctor
- If the condition does not improve even after using antifungal medicine on the skin as advised by the doctor,
- If the immune system of the body decreases due to any reason, For example, the use of chemotherapy or steroid drugs and diabetes
- Ringworm of the scalp. In this case, according to the doctor’s advice, you have to use oral medicine for 1-3 months. The doctor also recommends using shampoo.
How are shingles spread?
Ringworm is an infectious disease. It is caused by fungi such as trichophyton, microsporum, and epidermophyton. It spreads mainly in three ways:
- From contact with an infected person or his consumables. For example, combs, towels, and bed sheets
- From contact with animals with ringworms. For example, dogs, cats, cows, goats, and horses
- In environments where shingles germs are present, especially damp places
The treatment options for shingles
Doctors use antifungal medications to treat ringworm. Treatment depends on where the infection is and how severe it is.
In addition to using medicine, it is important to follow some rules to prevent the spread of shingles to other parts of your body or to members of your household.
Medicines for shingles
Medicines used to treat shingles are available in different forms. For example: cream, gel, lotion, spray, powder, tablet, and capsule.
In cases of ringworm on the skin of the body, it is usually recommended to apply cream, gel, lotion, spray, or powder directly to the skin instead of oral medication. Such drugs include clotrimazole, miconazole, terbinafine, and ketoconazole. Typically, doctors prescribe these drugs for continuous use over a period of 2-4 weeks.
It is very important to continue using the medicine for the prescribed period, as advised by the doctor. Even if the rash seems to have cleared up, it is not advisable to stop using the medicine.
If not treated on time, the rash may not heal completely, or the skin may recur.
Special Precautions: Do not use steroids to treat ringworm.
Many people use steroid creams or ointments when a shingles rash appears. This is not true at all. These medicines help to reduce the itching and redness of the skin, but they cannot kill the bacteria that cause ringworm. Not only that, but these creams also weaken the immune system of the skin. As a result, shingles can spread to other parts of the body. The infection can even penetrate deep into the skin and cause serious complications.
In addition, steroid ointments can also change the type of acne. This makes it difficult for doctors to accurately diagnose ringworm. Therefore, this type of cream cannot be used in ringworm treatment without a doctor’s advice.
Home Remedies for Shingles:
- Start treatment as soon as possible, according to the doctor’s advice.
- Always keep the skin dry and clean. Wash hands immediately after touching affected skin.
- Wash everyday clothes (e.g., towels and bed sheets) in boiling water regularly.
What not to do:
Avoid using the personal items (such as towels, combs, and bed sheets) of someone who has ringworm.
Avoid touching or scratching the affected skin. Otherwise, ringworm can spread to other parts of the body. Even the itchiness can cause different bacteria to invade the skin and cause an infection, which can complicate the treatment of ringworm.
If your child has shingles, you should see a doctor as soon as possible and start treatment. You can send the child to school, daycare, or nursery even if he has ringworm. But keep the information for the teacher or guardian. This will help to avoid direct contact with other children and prevent the spread of shingles.
Below is a list of ways to prevent ringworm:
1. An unclean body contains germs. An unsanitary, damp environment is more likely to harbor shingles germs. That’s why—
- Always keep the skin clean and dry.
- Keep fingernails and toenails short and clean.
- Change socks and underwear at least once a day.
2. Wearing too-tight shoes and excessive sweating increase the risk of ringworm. So use shoes that allow air to circulate freely around your feet.
3. Sports that involve contact with other people’s skin (such as wrestling, ha-doo-doo, and boxing) also increase the risk of ringworm. So if you play such sports, take a shower after your match or practice. Keep uniforms and all sports equipment (e.g., helmets) clean at all times. It is best to use your equipment rather than share sports equipment with others.
4. The risk of shingles is higher in damp environments. So you should avoid walking barefoot in places like gyms, changing rooms, and public toilets.
5. Direct contact with animals increases the risk of ringworm. So be careful when in contact with animals, especially pets.
- Wash hands with soap and tap water after direct contact with animals.
- If your pet appears to have shingles—for example, if you see shingles on the animal’s body or if the fur is shedding from the body—take him to the vet.
6. Be careful about contact with people and animals with ringworms.
- The risk of shingles infection increases even if the infected person uses common items. So avoid sharing clothes, towels, sheets, or other personal items with someone who has ringworm.
- If you have been in contact with a person or animal with ringworm, watch for any skin changes.
If the body’s immune system is weak, the risk of contracting various infections, including shingles, increases a lot. For example, people with diabetes take long-term steroids or chemotherapy. Therefore, in these cases, it is especially important to follow the steps to prevent shingles.
Shingles can lead to various complications
- Without proper treatment, shingles may not heal but may spread to other parts of the body. A weakened immune system increases the risk of this happening.
- In many cases, even after the ringworm has healed, the skin remains scarred.
- Scratching the affected area can cause skin cracks. Bacteria can enter through these cracks and create new infections, making ringworms more complicated. The affected area of the skin then becomes red and hot, swollen, painful, and oozes pus.
- Ringworms of the nails can cause changes in the normal shape of the nails.
Most Important Post For You
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Most Important Post For You Spot, treat, and prevent cannabis nutrient deficiencies. Your guide to cultivating healthy and thriving plants. Cannabis
Explore the link between Do Statins Increase Risk of Diabetes. Uncover facts and insights to make informed decisions about your health. Do Statins Increase Risk
Discover rapid how to relieve indigestion fast with effective strategies. Quick solutions for comfort and digestive ease. Most people suffer from indigestion at one time
I Want to Lose Weight Fast journey. Discover effective strategies and tips to achieve your goals. Start your transformation today! Once the weight starts to
Discover insights on How to Get Over Food Poisoning Quickly Reddit. Proven tips for a swift recovery. Join the conversation for quick relief! How to
Discover effective strategies on how to reduce diabetes through lifestyle changes. Empower yourself for better health and well-being. Today is ‘World Diabetes Day’. The theme
Delve into the world of sugar and sweets. Discover mindful choices for a balanced indulgence. Sweeten life with healthier alternatives. The body stores more sugar
Explore the critical link between diabetes and oral health. Learn proactive strategies for a healthier smile and overall well-being. A diabetic patient should take care
What is the 20-20-20 rule for eyes? Breaks for visual rejuvenation. Tips to combat eye strain and nurture eye health. Day by day, the dependence
Diarrhea and Vomiting at the same time? Dive into causes and effective relief measures for a prompt recovery. Your guide to feeling better. The same
Does tea cause gastric problems. Learn how to foster a harmonious relationship between tea and your stomach. For most people, this problem is not serious.
Find comfort amidst How to Help Stomach Pain from Antibiotics. Discover effective strategies for relief and a smoother recovery. But don’t try to diagnose yourself.