Urine infection is a very common disease. This disease can cause various symptoms, including burning in the urinary tract or frequent urination. It is possible to get rid of this disease easily if you follow some rules and take proper treatment at the right time.
Do not ignore the symptoms of a urine infection and consult a doctor.
What is a urine infection?
Waste and excess water are excreted from our bodies as urine. Our urinary system consists of the organs related to this process of passing urine. The urinary system consists of two kidneys, two ureters, a bladder, and a urethra.
A urinary tract infection is a bacterial infection that can occur in any part of the urinary system. In medical terms, it is called ‘Urinary Tract Infection’ or ‘UTI’.
Symptoms of Urine Infection
The most common symptoms of a urine infection include:
- Experiencing pain or a burning sensation during urination
- Urinating more often than usual
- Frequent urination at night
- Having unusual-smelling or cloudy urine
- Experiencing a sudden urge to urinate or struggling to control the urge
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in the urine
- Pain behind the waist, just below the ribs
- Fever, body heat, and chills
- A drop in body temperature below 36°C or 96.8°F
- Fatigue and nausea
In addition to the above symptoms, the symptoms of a urinary tract infection may vary with age.
Noticeable changes in the elderly and in those with urinary tubes (catheters) are:
- Abnormal behaviour
- Feelings of mental confusion or anger can arise.
- New body tremors or tremors
- Ruining clothes by urinating
In children, there are some additional symptoms that accompany the general symptoms. For example,
- Stop eating and drinking properly.
- Fever or high body temperature
- Frequent urination or the sudden onset of bedwetting
A doctor should be consulted if symptoms of a urinary infection appear.
In addition to the above symptoms, if any of the following symptoms occur, you should see a doctor without delay:
- Shivering with a high body temperature or fever
- A drop in body temperature below 36°C or 96.8°F
- Mental confusion, tremors, or slurred speech
- Experiencing urinary retention throughout the day can be challenging.
- Pain in the lower abdomen or behind the waist, just below the ribs
- Blood in the urine
These can be signs of a kidney infection. It can become fatal if not treated promptly.
The Causes of Urinary Tract Infection
Usually, various bacteria present in the stool enter the urinary system and cause a urine infection. These bacteria enter the urinary system through the urinary tract, or urethra.
Both men and women can get urinary tract infections. However, women are more prone to this disease. This is because the female urethra is much shorter in length than the male urethra.
In addition, the female urethra is located very close to the anus. As a result, the possibility of bacteria entering the urinary tract from the anus and causing a urinary tract infection increases.
Factors that increase the chances of a urinary tract infection include:
- If you don’t drink enough water,
- If there is a disease that obstructs the normal flow of the urinary system, For example, kidney stones
- If the genitals are not kept clean and dry,
- If the immune system Decreases due to any reason, For example-
If you have type 2 diabetes or HIV.
During chemotherapy or long-term use of steroids
- If pregnant
- Diseases that prevent complete emptying of the bladder. For example, enlarged prostate glands in men, constipation in children, or any disease of the nervous system
- If menstruation stops forever, This phenomenon is called ‘ menopause’. In this case, the risk of infection increases due to the decrease in the hormone estrogen.
- If you have sex,
- If a tube or catheter is placed in the urinary tract,
- If you have had a previous urinary tract infection,
Note that a urine infection is not contagious. It does not spread through sexual intercourse. But due to friction during sexual intercourse, germs can enter the urinary tract, or germs already in the urinary tract can move further inside.
Treatment of a urine infection
Do not ignore the symptoms of a urine infection and seek the advice of a doctor. The doctor may prescribe a urine test as well as appropriate antibiotics if necessary.
It is important to finish the full course of antibiotics. Even if the symptoms start to improve, you should still complete the full course of medication as prescribed.
Symptoms usually begin to subside within two to three days of starting the medication. If the symptoms do not improve after completing the course of medicine, it is important to consult a doctor immediately.
Special note: In the case of taking the treatment during pregnancy, one should be very careful and follow all the doctor’s advice.
How long should I take the medicine?
Doctors usually recommend three days to one week of antibiotics for treating simple urinary tract infections. However, depending on the cause and type of infection, a longer duration of treatment may be necessary. In some cases, patients may need to take antibiotics for several months.
In cases of severe urinary infections, the patient is referred to the hospital for examination and treatment. In this case, it may be necessary to get treatment through hospitalisation for a few days.
Urine infections can easily become serious if ignored. So be aware of the symptoms.
Urine Infection Home Remedies
- Paracetamol effectively reduces pain and fever. Paracetamol is more effective than other medications in reducing the pain of urinary tract infections.
- Parents can give children paracetamol syrup.
- Get enough rest and drink plenty of water. One should drink enough water to produce clear and light yellow urine regularly. Regular urination helps flush out bacteria from the body.
- The stomach, back, and between two thighs can be hot-baked. It can help relieve discomfort.
- It is better to refrain from sexual intercourse until recovery. Although urine infections are not contagious, sexual intercourse can be uncomfortable while the infection is present.
In special cases like kidney disease, heart disease, or urinary incontinence, it is necessary to know from the doctor how much water is safe to drink daily.
Repeated urinary infections
The recurrence of urinary infections after treatment requires various tests. Special antibiotics may be recommended in this case.
If urinary irritation is caused by menopause, doctors may recommend using menstrual estrogen creams.
Complications of Urinary Tract Infection
Urine infections can lead to various complications if left untreated. If the infection reaches the kidneys, it can cause permanent kidney damage.
Apart from this, if the infection spreads to the blood, a serious complication called ‘sepsis’ may occur. It may even endanger the life of the patient.
In men, repeated infections can cause narrowing of the urethra. It can lead to urinary tract complications as well as sexual and reproductive problems.
In the case of pregnant mothers, various complications can occur, including kidney infections. For example, low birth weight and premature delivery
Preventing Urinary Tract Infections
Urinary tract infection is not always preventable, but following some rules can reduce the risk of infection.
What should we do?
- Clean from front to back when using toilet tissue.
- Keep your genitals dry and clean.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Drink at least six to eight glasses of water daily.
- Instead of bathing in a bathtub or pool, use a shower or bucket.
- Try to empty the bladder completely while urinating.
- Wash the genital area with water before and after intercourse.
- Urinate as soon as possible after intercourse.
- Wear loose cotton underwear.
- Change diapers or cloth nappies regularly for babies between one and three years of age.
What not to do
- Do not actually hold the urine stream.
- Do not rush while urinating.
- Do not use perfumed soap or talcum powder on the genital area.
- Do not wear tight underwear made of synthetic fabrics (e.g., nylon).
- Do not wear tight pajamas.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks. These can help bacteria grow.
- Do not use condoms or diaphragms that contain lubricants that kill sperm. Instead, use a different type of condom and lubricant or an alternative method of birth control.
Most Important Post For You
Explore the link between Do Statins Increase Risk of Diabetes. Uncover facts and insights to make informed decisions about your health. Do Statins Increase Risk
Discover rapid how to relieve indigestion fast with effective strategies. Quick solutions for comfort and digestive ease. Most people suffer from indigestion at one time
I Want to Lose Weight Fast journey. Discover effective strategies and tips to achieve your goals. Start your transformation today! Once the weight starts to
Discover insights on How to Get Over Food Poisoning Quickly Reddit. Proven tips for a swift recovery. Join the conversation for quick relief! How to
Discover effective strategies on how to reduce diabetes through lifestyle changes. Empower yourself for better health and well-being. Today is ‘World Diabetes Day’. The theme
Delve into the world of sugar and sweets. Discover mindful choices for a balanced indulgence. Sweeten life with healthier alternatives. The body stores more sugar
Explore the critical link between diabetes and oral health. Learn proactive strategies for a healthier smile and overall well-being. A diabetic patient should take care
What is the 20-20-20 rule for eyes? Breaks for visual rejuvenation. Tips to combat eye strain and nurture eye health. Day by day, the dependence
Diarrhea and Vomiting at the same time? Dive into causes and effective relief measures for a prompt recovery. Your guide to feeling better. The same
Does tea cause gastric problems. Learn how to foster a harmonious relationship between tea and your stomach. For most people, this problem is not serious.
Find comfort amidst How to Help Stomach Pain from Antibiotics. Discover effective strategies for relief and a smoother recovery. But don’t try to diagnose yourself.
Empower your kids with valuable life lessons! why 8 Things to Teach Your Children for lifelong success and happiness. Start their journey today. why 8