We use two types of turmeric—ripe and raw. ‘Paka’ turmeric means edible turmeric. How else can ‘Paka’ turmeric be used besides raw application and cooking? You can also make tea with raw turmeric. But why? Because it has many benefits. Raw turmeric is rich in vitamin B-6, potassium, fiber, magnesium, and vitamin C. And there is curcumin, which saves us from various diseases. According to Ayurveda, turmeric purifies the blood. Now let’s know the quality of raw turmeric.
Properties of raw turmeric:
- Raw turmeric is especially beneficial for diabetic patients. It helps in maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Raw turmeric improves our digestion. As a result, it helps to digest food easily.
- According to a study by the US National Library of Medicine, raw turmeric contains a lot of iron. It also helps to increase iron in cases of iron deficiency in the body.
- A 2017 study found that curcumin reduced LDL and total cholesterol levels. And reducing LDL, or bad cholesterol, means reducing the risk of heart disease in our body, which also reduces the risk of stroke.
- Turmeric tea may contribute to cancer prevention. Curcumin has been recognized by the US National Cancer Institute as an effective anticarcinogenic substance that helps prevent cancer.
- Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic condition that causes ulcers in the lower part of the gastrointestinal tract (GI tract). Raw turmeric prevents this disease from forming. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, UC patients who consume turmeric reduce their risk of recurrence.
Precautions before consuming raw turmeric:
Turmeric capsules (turmeric supplements) may reduce the effects of the pain relievers indomethacin, aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen.
- If someone is undergoing chemotherapy treatment, talk to your doctor before taking raw turmeric capsules or tablets.
- Turmeric capsules may increase the risk of blood thinning in those taking warfarin (turmeric supplements).
- People taking immunosuppressive medications may experience side effects if they consume too much curcumin.
Why is raw turmeric good?
- The active ingredient in raw turmeric is a natural compound (polyphenol) called curcumin, which has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It protects the esophagus from various types of bacterial infections.
- Like other colorful plant-based foods, raw turmeric is phytonutrient-rich, which neutralizes free radicals (i.e., pollution and sunlight) and protects our cells from harmful rays.
- It can prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Consuming raw turmeric in food can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Raw turmeric can cure inflammation like arthritis and joint pain, colitis, allergies, and infections.
How to make raw turmeric tea:
Like ginger, turmeric root makes a nutritious and delicious tea. Mary-Eve Brown, an oncologist, clinical dietitian, and nutritionist at Johns Hopkins Medicine, gives the raw turmeric recipe as follows:
- 2 tbsp chopped raw turmeric root or 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Boil 1-2 cups of water.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Then strain through a strainer. Then add lemon and honey to change the taste. Well, it was raw turmeric tea. You can drink this tea both hot and cold.
Sources: Hopkins Medicine, Medical News Today, and My Heart Book
Most Important Post For You
Explore the link between Do Statins Increase Risk of Diabetes. Uncover facts and insights to make informed decisions about your health. Do Statins Increase Risk
Discover rapid how to relieve indigestion fast with effective strategies. Quick solutions for comfort and digestive ease. Most people suffer from indigestion at one time
I Want to Lose Weight Fast journey. Discover effective strategies and tips to achieve your goals. Start your transformation today! Once the weight starts to
Discover insights on How to Get Over Food Poisoning Quickly Reddit. Proven tips for a swift recovery. Join the conversation for quick relief! How to
Discover effective strategies on how to reduce diabetes through lifestyle changes. Empower yourself for better health and well-being. Today is ‘World Diabetes Day’. The theme
Delve into the world of sugar and sweets. Discover mindful choices for a balanced indulgence. Sweeten life with healthier alternatives. The body stores more sugar
Explore the critical link between diabetes and oral health. Learn proactive strategies for a healthier smile and overall well-being. A diabetic patient should take care
What is the 20-20-20 rule for eyes? Breaks for visual rejuvenation. Tips to combat eye strain and nurture eye health. Day by day, the dependence
Diarrhea and Vomiting at the same time? Dive into causes and effective relief measures for a prompt recovery. Your guide to feeling better. The same
Does tea cause gastric problems. Learn how to foster a harmonious relationship between tea and your stomach. For most people, this problem is not serious.
Find comfort amidst How to Help Stomach Pain from Antibiotics. Discover effective strategies for relief and a smoother recovery. But don’t try to diagnose yourself.
Empower your kids with valuable life lessons! why 8 Things to Teach Your Children for lifelong success and happiness. Start their journey today. why 8